Thursday, 2 July 2009

Revealing practice

"Intentional instruction is not necessarily the source or cause of learning" according to Jean Lave and Etienne Wenger [1] in their seminal book Situated Learning. So what is? Well their theory is that learners need exposure to authentic practice and it is with that in mind that I start this blog.

My current research focuses on using Web 2.0 technologies to support craft skills learning and I am particularly interested in the role of the expert in such new learning environments. I feel that blogging could be an effective way of teaching staff revealing their more widespread design practices to their students and plan to test this in my next research project.

However, before I do that I need some experience of the medium myself!

[1] Lave J & Wenger E (1991). Situated learning. Legitimate peripheral participation. Cambridge University, Cambridge, UK. 1998 edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment